by Charity
[Posted this evening on PsychForums:]
For the past few weekends, things have been so bad for me/us that some
of the others have tried to convince me that we need to call our T
between sessions if we need to. Our T permits this, and we've done so
several times. But the way things have been lately, I don't want to seem
needy (even though I really am ).
Things have gotten worse
inside between me and some of the others. Maybe I'm absorbing Deborah's
and Rachel's pain again, but that's no excuse. Like it or not (and I
definitely don't like it), I'm the "emotional center of our system," as
our blog says.
So we're Skyping this evening, as soon as we get home.
[Later]
The Skype session turned out to be a phone session. Skype was acting
strange and preventing us from connecting at either end. So we just
talked instead, about the same formative and preverbal issues that have
been plaguing us for so long on an emotional level.
We were
surprised when some of her feedback caused us to consider things from a
new angle. "Do you think that your mother never picking you up and
holding you [as an infant] has anything to do with the fact that you've
never liked being touched?"
We'd never thought of that before.
We'd definitely been aware of our mother's rare attempts to show us
affection when we were a teen or young adult....she was so awkward, as
if her attempts to reach out were more from her own need rather than
ours. And we would push her away.
The bond should have been established at the outset. "She failed Parenting 101," we told our T.
She failed in so many ways. Sometimes "I tried my best" isn't enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment