by Laura
I hate people. And I hate stupid people most of all.
Sue me. I'm not here to be liked. It's bad enough that we have to kiss up to people in our 3d life; I'll not do it in the one setting where I can be who I really am.
Speaking of stupid, when we bought our PC about a year ago, we allowed the guy at the Microsoft Store to talk us into buying Office 365, which is by yearly subscription. Can you say "ripoff," boys and girls?
What he didn't make clear is that there's also the option of buying Office 2013 for a one-time flat fee. We were so focused on making sure that we had a new computer ASAP that we
didn't think to ask if the subscription was the only choice. We allowed ourselves to operate from fear, and we ended up being misled.
So now, a year later, the stupid subscription is about to expire, and of course Microsoft wants us to renew it. Doesn't Bill Gates have enough billions under his mattress without having to convince people to pay more for something than they need to pay?
We're not going to make the same mistake twice. The other day we purchased the one-time, non-subscription option, and tonight we went to download it. But nowadays there's no such thing as getting the entire set of program files. Instead we're forced to download a setup file, which is much smaller, and the real program files live at the vendor site. And we end up searching the whole f*cking Internet to get the complete set of program files, so that we can have what we paid for, in its entirety, in our possession.
But we don't want to do this for Microsoft Office, because we know there's all sorts of pirated crap out there. So we call Microsoft. We end up on the phone with a minimum-wage tech fidiot who we can barely understand, trying to explain that we want the complete set of files. And no, we won't let you have remote access to our PC so you can help us with the install. We want the complete set of files, you moron.
So Moron realizes he's over his head and tells us that he's going to transfer us to someone who can specifically help with Office. We end up with another minimum-wage tech fidiot who we can barely understand. She's only slightly less moronic than the first fidiot. She ends up emailing us a link to the complete set of program files (about 2GB), so that we can download them and burn them onto a disc. And we download all 2GB.
And then we realize that we don't have a DVD burner.
Have I mentioned that I hate stupid people?
No comments:
Post a Comment