by Charity
[In response to someone who replied to our previous post on PsychForums.]
Thank you. You certainly have a good point. We have a group of about
half a dozen teens called The Babysitters, who help a great deal on the
inside, taking care of the children and doing other domestic things.
Back at the beginning, I envisioned myself as the perfect mother figure
that we never had. I knew that I wasn't technically the mother of
anyone else inside, but I still envisioned myself in the mothering role.
When our system got too big for me to handle, I went inside. Only
during the past few years in therapy have I worked on being out and
dealing with outside life on a regular basis.
The Babysitters
help because they want to help. And there are enough of them so that
none is overburdened. But all of that work is on the inside, and they
shouldn't have to deal with adult-level responsibility on the outside as
well.
And ultimately, the issue is with the other adults. They
challenged me, and now I'm challenging them. The tug-of-war has to
stop. We're all on the same team, even if we sometimes don't want to
be.
No comments:
Post a Comment