By Charity
Lately whenever I have an in-depth discussion in T, I leave the session feeling better. I know that this is a good thing, and I'm grateful that I have the opportunity to make progress.
Last night's session seemed different. Our T is still devoting a significant amount of time and energy toward her husband's recovery from a serious illness. So I asked if he was making progress. I would do this even if we didn't have firsthand experience caring for an immediate family member. [Help from Mary with the wording here.] Showing appropriate concern to someone we've known for 10 years, and with whom we've built a level of trust, is normal. We've always had good boundaries with our current T and our previous T.
But I left the session feeling that I didn't get to focus enough on the issues I need to deal with. I'd started out the session by saying that I'd been angry when we woke up that morning, and that it was difficult to deal with the anger. We talked a little about what I was angry about and what triggered the feeling, but we never got back to the topic after we got sidetracked.
I don't blame our T for this. I was the one who asked about her husband. Maybe I need to do better at recognizing when it's time to re-focus and get back to the original topic. I remember feeling that I'd lost control of the way the conversation was heading. I have big issues with feeling powerless. And I think we need to address this whole issue next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment